GnuPG Outlook Express plug-in

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue Oct 9 12:34:02 2001

On Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:16:10 +0100, Graham  said:

> Werner, I don't want to pursue this any more, but this is some new
> version of the word "free" I have not yet come across.
The English term "free" has to meaning: One describing the price to pay like in "free beer" and the other one describing freedom like in "free speech". The later one is the cornerstone of the Free Software movement and this has been around even longer than Windows
> You don't have to pay for GnuPGShell, no registration is required, you
> can give it away to your friends without restriction, and it is freely
I don't have to pay for Internet Explorer either but this does not make it Free Software. It is just gratis.
> available. It therefore meets my definition of being "free". This is
> the usually accepted meaning of the word "free" amongst those that use

> because he is restricted by the software he uses. I understand he uses
> special functions which come with VBasic and/or Windows itself, and as
> these are not Open Source he cannot publish them. Others might
Even if he requires proprietary libraries he could release the rest of the source as FS.
> deprecate the fact, but if you use propriatory software in Windows you
> will have to accept these sorts of constraints.
There a huge amounts of Free Software[1] for Windows and other operation systems available, far too much to fit on a few CDROMs. However this tread is getting off topic - there are numerous mailing lists dedicated to the philosphical questions of FS. For example, discussion@fsfeurope.org Werner [1] I capitilize Free Software to make clear that I am talking about free like in "free speech". The French have a better word without the ambiguity of "free": Libre. -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus