discussion on increasing amount of gpg signatures...

Len Sassaman rabbi@quickie.net
Sun Oct 14 19:56:01 2001

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, David Shaw wrote:

> > Some people have "high-security" signing keys, which they use to sign
> > keys belong to people of whose identity they are absolutely positive; "low
> > security keys" they use to sign online acquaintences' keys; pseudonym
> > signing keys, etc.
>
> Don't forget that OpenPGP lets people put this sort of information
> into the signature itself. There are 4 levels of classification
> ranging from "I'm not going to say", to "I checked this extensively".
True; however, that function of OpenPGP isn't all that useful, in my opinion. One person's extensively is another person's casually, though this isn't the biggest drawback. There isn't a way to set a trusted introducer that only introduces keys that have been checked "extensively". It's an all or nothing decision. --Len.