[FYI][Linux/Kernel] Schlechte Entropie-Schaetzung bei /dev/random

Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Mon Oct 15 17:58:02 2001

No, there isn't. We don't think the problem is worth a translation. ;-) You can follow the links in the article and read the original discussions on linux-kernel. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=fa.pd969fv.dlefiu%40ifi.uio.no&output=gplain http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=linux.kernel.20011001105927.A22795%40turbolinux.com Summary: There are two defects in the /dev/random implementation: entropy estimates for the data sources seem to be too high, and when some entropy is retrived from the kernel pool, the estimate of the remaining entropy is rather close to zero, regardless how many bytes have been retrieved, so quite a bit of entropy is discarded unnecessarily.
> Anyone care to comment on the practical relevance to Linux/GnuPG users?
I don't think it impacts most users. In order to mount an attack, one has to know a lot about SHA-1 (provided that /dev/random is correctly implemented here), and such knowledge is not publicly available at the moment. For most users, this problem is similar to the famous "world spins into wrong direction" bug, except that it's security-related software and that we know now that hardly anyone cared to audit this code so far. (BTW, it's far from clear that SHA-1 has got all the properties required in this context.) The proposed changes (later on in the second thread) may be of great help in unattended key generation because more entropy is made available per time period. -- Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE University of Stuttgart http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/ RUS-CERT +49-711-685-5973/fax +49-711-685-5898