Automating gpg

Dailey,Nancy nancy.dailey@gartner.com
Tue Oct 16 15:45:02 2001

>From David Shaw:
When you follow the automating gpg instructions in the FAQ, you end up with a special key that does not contain the master key (generally a sign-only key). You tried to sign and encrypt, and since there is no signing key there, it's not going to work. You can add a signing key via --edit-key on your *original* key (not the key you generated by following the FAQ), and using "addkey". Then, re-follow the instructions in the FAQ to export the new subkey. David I thought that is what I did. I used "addkey" to add a signing subkey, then "export-secret-subkeys" to "secring.auto" which I then moved to another directory and removed the passphrase. This is what happens when I try to use the signing subkey: C:\gnupg>gpg --output ggvsppre.gpg -es \windows\temp\ggvsppre.lis
> gpg: secret key parts are not available
> gpg: no default secret key: general error
> gpg: \windows\temp\ggvsppre.lis: sign+encrypt failed: general error
The gpg instruction manual states that "export-secret-subkeys" "...has the special property to render the secret part of the primary key useless; this is a GNU extension to OpenPGP ..." Is this true? And, if so, is this not what has happened to my secret key? And, if so, is there some other way to automate gpg? Nancy Nancy N. Dailey Senior Systems Analyst IS3 - Information Systems and Technology Gartner Group Phone 1-203-316-3418 Fax 1-203-316-6490