GnuPG and French law

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed Oct 17 19:14:02 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:49:40 +0200, Sylvain Soliman said:

> However, if I were to encrypt a message for somebody whose key were
> bigger than 128bits, I'd be considered a very bad boy by French law... :(
It is possible to compile a version without Twofish and AES-192, AES-256 support. I don't know wether this helps.
> This fact has never been a real problem, but I was wondering if GnuPG's team
> was aware that filling a (quite) simple form (in French!!!) and sending it to
> the administration, would allow, after the usual administrative delay, a
> completely free use of GnuPG for any French citizen.
No, I am not aware of this. The question is who can file such a document: The FSF as the copyright holder, the GUUG who is running the main server for GnuPG on behalf of the FSF, any of the authors or maybe my company? Filing such a thing for each version could get very troublesome and what should we do if more and more contiries demand such a paper? Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus