Can't Run GnuPG from CGI Script

pd pd4953@myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 11 00:05:02 2001

I am getting the following error when trying to execute GnuPG from a cgi
script.

gpg: fatal: ~/.gnupg: can't create directory: No such file or directory
secmem usage: 0/0 bytes in 0/0 blocks of pool 0/163

Here is the gpg command:

gpg --homedir /var/www/data/.gnupg  $armor --always-trust --yes -o- -r
'987500C1' --no-tty --batch --encrypt /home/perluser/gpg/plain_text.txt

Shouldn't the "--homedir" option take care of this error?

It is being executed by user apache.

It works fine from the command line.  It also works fine when executing it
by a different normal user from the command line.

Is anyone successfully using gpg in this way on a web server?