Quality of PRNGD

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu Sep 13 10:06:01 2001

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:52:21 -0400, Gordon Worley said:

> Recently someone made me aware of PRNGD. The Web site claims that it
> is better than EGD and gives reasons. I was wondering if anyone else
> here had used it and the quality of the RNG (realizing, of course,
There is a huge difference between a RNG and a PRNG. If you ever get hands on on (internal) state of the PRNG you can recompute all pother states and predict the random numbers given. For certain algorithms you definitely want better unpredictable random. And EGD has to block if it seems that there is not enough entroy in the system. Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus