signing + mailing lists

Gordon Worley redbird@rbisland.cx
Wed Sep 19 01:27:01 2001

At 4:44 PM -0400 9/18/01, Justin R. Miller wrote:

>There has been some involved discussion on the mutt-users list about
>digitally signing messages sent to mailing lists, with plenty of good
>arguments on both sides. I'm curious as to what peoples' opinions over
>here are.
Well, I've been thinking about this, and I think I have a clear way of doing it. On small lists where a message actually being from me might matter (like the Mac GPG developer list), I'm going to sign. I know I have signed messages in the past that I send nearly everywhere, but I finally realized that this doesn't really help in most cases, just adds extra bytes to the message, because no one on the list can likely even check the validity of my signature, just get a message that it's good. But, from this message, I guess we can all see your opinion. ;-) -- Gordon Worley `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty http://www.rbisland.cx/ said, `it means just what I choose redbird@rbisland.cx it to mean--neither more nor less.' PGP: 0xBBD3B003 --Lewis Carroll