2048 bits DSA key in GnuPG 1.0.6 - HowTo ?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Mon Sep 24 18:32:01 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:02:09 +0200 (CEST), Janusz A Urbanowicz said:

> DSA (as a standard) states key length at 1024 bits. When longer key used,
> won't be standard compliant DSA.
To increase the security you also need a hash function which yields a larger digest than the 160 bits of SHA-1 - without that a larger key does not make sense. NIST has defined SHA-256 but this is a) not yet defined in OpenPGP and b) those hash functions are pretty new and we should wait some time before using them. The NSA (creator of SHA-xxx) is not anymore the excellent crypto think tank (cf. AES double-counter mode).
> Why won't you just generate RSA signing key long enough?
The hash function problem does also exist for RSA. Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus