attachments

David K. Trudgett dkt@registriesltd.com.au
Tue Sep 25 05:11:01 2001

On Monday 2001-09-24 at 19:43:33 -0600, Lee Roberts wrote:

> Why do people in this list post their messages as attachments? I
> trash those messages since you never know if they contain a virus.
You must have missed the lengthy discussion about that just today. The reason is that they are not "attachments" actually, but multi-part MIME messages with a disposition of "inline", which means they are part of the message body and are not attachments. Your MUA (Eudora) is disregarding the "inline" status of the MIME parts, probably because it is not recognising the "multipart/signed" and/or "application/pgp-signature" MIME types. This is not very clever of Eudora, especially since we are not dealing with new standards. Here is an example from a recently posted message on this list:

> --k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G--
The disposition here is also "inline". So, I think that the answer here is that your version of Eudora (which is not the latest one) does not handle multi-part inline MIME parts correctly (or at least if they happen to be of type "multipart/signed" or "application/pgp-signature"). Perhaps you could upgrade to the latest version and/or get Qualcomm to fix their product. Regards, David Trudgett