Mutt/GnuPG doc initial release

Horacio homega@wanadoo.es
Fri Sep 28 12:10:02 2001

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 12:00:40AM +0200, Ingo Kl=F6cker wrote:

>=20
> On Mittwoch, 26. September 2001 15:38, Horacio wrote:
> > That=B4s your saying, and yet people who think and act like
> > you do slow down my reading of mail at mailing lists by
> > forcing the opening of a process for no useful reason.
>=20
> Maybe you shouldn't be using this MTA if it slows down your
> reading so much just because of signed messages.
Ok, while comparisons are not always fair, sometimes can be used as a means to make someone understanding. Let=B4s try this simple one: A car horn is meant to be used for warning against and accident. Yet, many people make an abusive use of it. I hate that. But, does it mean that I should cover my ears to avoid hearing it? Being able to hearing the horn when a car is bumping into me is far more important. I know that I=B4m left no choice but to put up with it, but at least I have the right to complain about some people=B4s bad mannered and uncivilized behaviour. Obviously, neither you nor Owen will think it is uncivilized (ok, now I=B4m back to signatures here), since you seem to enjoy it. Perhaps uncivilized is a word fit for the example, but not for the abuse of digital signatures... let=B4s just say bad mannered and selfish.
> Alternatively you could write a procmail filter which
> removes signatures from messages send to mailing lists. As
> you are using mutt (at least that's what your X-Mailer
> header tells me) it's very likely that you are using
> procmail already to convert inlined signatures to PGP/MIME
> signatures. So why not simply remove signatures from
> mailing list messages.
No, just because it would strip the useless signatures as well as the useful ones.
> > Of course you don=B4t find it an annoyance! You are the
> > one who annoys others with it!
>=20
> You shouldn't generalise your opinion to others. Owen
> doesn't annoy me. But of course I'm guilty of the same
> crime. :-)
I=B4m not, in fact I presume there are people who are annoyed with it and others who are not (e.g. all of you who, imo, (ab)?use it). I didn=B4t use "others" to mean "everyone". As with everything else in life, there is enough people to stand in one side and the opposite. --=20 Horacio