Key Type & Size / Multiple Email Accounts / Key Server Questions

Greg Strong gw_goldwing@gwstrong.com
Wed Apr 3 13:55:14 2002

I'm new to GnuPG.  You might say that I'm in learn and test mode before
using full time and publish keys to key servers.  I have several
questions.  They are as follows:

1) What type of key do you suggest?  I ask this question because I'll use
GnuPG primarily for signing but in limited instances for encryption.
I've read the manual and know DSA is limited to a size of 1024 bits, and
is used only for signing.  ElGamal can be used for both signing and
encryption with no limit on size.  My first inclination is to use the
default of DSA & ElGamal.  See question #2 when answering.

2) With the advancement of computing power what key size do you
recommend?  Presently I'm using an old P166 PC that will update in the
near future.  For getting off the ground with GnuPG I have tested with
type 1 (DSA & Elgamal) with both having a size of 1024 bits.  After
generating the keys this size hasn't really pushed this old PC.  It
hasn't really been exposed to much either.

3)  If you have multiple email accounts on one key and put on a key
server, would these multiple email accounts then be analogous to being
published in a telephone book?

TIA!

Greg Strong
Email: gw_goldwing@gwstrong.com