Freedom of speech(was: Cipher etc.)

Justin Troutman justinrt@bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 23 10:50:01 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Veronica Loell <info@nakawe.se>
To: <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 5:15 AM
Subject: Re: Freedom of speech(was: Cipher etc.)

> I definately agree with Graham, but wanted to add my own thoughts.

Same here.

> I think it's safe to say that the original comment was not "bashing".
> If you have the same program installed on different OS:es, whether
> it is totally different one's or different versions of the same OS
> you will have different problems, a bug that appears in one OS will
> not nessecarily show up in all OS:es. Hence it is a good step towards
> solving a problem to know what kind of platform it occurs on, I would
> think?

Of course. That is a great tactic to realize and deploy.

> This said, try not to take peoples comments as an offence, even though
> it might seem like it to you. This sort of thing is what starts wars
> and other ugly things.
>
> Also one person saying something that you consider offensive is no
> reason to start acting in the same manner. If you do, you really have
> no right to complain about how the person was acting, since you do
> the same thing yourself.
>
> Just my two cents...
>
> - Veronica Loell

Well said, Veronica. I responded to a flame war on sci.crypt the other day,
with a long, drawn-out similar approach, as to how flaming really serves no
purpose, rather than boasting pride. In doing so, you miss out on key things
that could help narrow down the problem and potentially help solving it.
Let's keep the mailing list clean and to the point.

Let's discuss and learn, not flame. So, go with Graham's and Veronica's
advice and start now. There's no better time to do so.

A few more cents...

Justin T.