A FAQ question

Amish K. Munshi amish@munshi.d2g.com
Wed Aug 28 12:12:23 2002

--=-vRlriUXJUfZnhhGPDHGY

Hi,

        I am having this FAQ, but I am using Linux, what should be done
in
Linux to overcome this problem?

Bye.

6.1) Why do I get "gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!"

On many systems this program should be installed as setuid(root). This
is necessary to lock memory pages. Locking memory pages prevents the
operating system from writing them to disk and thereby keeping your
secret keys really secret. If you get no warning message about insecure
memory your operating system supports locking without being root. The
program drops root privileges as soon as locked memory is allocated.

On UnixWare 2.x and 7.x you should install GnuPG with the 'plock'
privilege to get the same effect:

filepriv -f plock /path/to/gpg

If you can't or don't want to install GnuPG setuid(root), you can use
the option "--no-secmem-warning" or put:

no-secmem-warning

in your ~/.gnupg/options file (this disables the warning).

On some systems (e.g., Windows) GnuPG does not lock memory pages and
older GnuPG versions (<=3D3D1.0.4) issue the warning:

gpg: Please note that you don't have secure memory

This warning can't be switched off by the above option because it was
thought to be too serious an issue. However, it confused users too much,
so the warning was eventually removed.

--=-vRlriUXJUfZnhhGPDHGY

--=-vRlriUXJUfZnhhGPDHGY--