A FAQ question

David Scribner dscribner@yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 21:51:02 2002

--- "Amish K. Munshi" <amish@munshi.d2g.com> wrote:
> I am having this FAQ, but I am using Linux, what
> should be done in Linux to overcome this problem?
>
> 6.1) Why do I get "gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!"

As Adrian mentioned, you can setuid root on the gpg binary with
chmod. First, change to where your gpg binary is located
(usually /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin) and then 'chmod u+s gpg'.
You could also use the equivilent 'chmod 4755 gpg', which
accomplishes the same thing.

However, if you don't have root permissions on your system, or
should you desire to not setuid root on the gpg binary, you can
also indicate in your gpg options file (~/.gnupg/options) that
you want to supress the display of this warning. You can do so
by editing this file and including the line:

no-secmem-warning

Which does nothing to allow gpg to use secure memory of course,
but only keep gpg from warning you that it's using insecure
memory.

HTH

David

=====
David D. Scribner
IT Consulting & Services
CompTIA Linux+, Network+, A+ Certified
Ph: (817) 461-4018        eFax: (630) 214-7769
dscribner_at_bigfoot.com  http://www.bigfoot.com/~dscribner/
GnuPG/PGP: 3172 7408 58CA D9C2 F697  950F 9DDC 7AC7 91EC 5F06