2 FAQs

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Dec 5 20:45:02 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 06:41:36PM +0100, Michael Nahrath wrote:
> I already searched the the local documentation but did not find an answer.
>
> (BTW: I have compiled GPG 1.3.1 but /usr/local/share/gnupg/faq.html is stil
> version 1.5.7 whereas <http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/faqs.html> is
> Version 1.5.8 dated on 2002-10-08)
>
> When I --list-sigs a key or --edit-key and 'check' I get the signatures
> displyed in a format like this:
>
> sig!2   P    C9541FB2 2002-06-29   Douglas F. Calvert <dfc@anize.org>
>    ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Betwheen the "sig" and the 8-byte Key-ID there are 10 characters space.
>
> Where do I find a complete compilation of all possible values they can take
> and their meaning?

"sig", followed by:

1. ! for good sig, - for bad sig, % for error, and blank for no public
   key available to verify sig.

2. 1-3, giving the verification level of the key.  This is just
   cosmetic (a note from the signer to you) and has no bearing on
   whether the key is trusted or not.

3. L for a local signature, blank if not local.

4. R for a nonrevocable signature, blank if revocable.

5. P if a policy URL exists on this signature, blank if not.

6. N if a notation exists on this signature, blank if not.

7. X if the signature is expired, blank if not.

8. 1-9 if this is a trust signature, or "T" if the trust signature
   depth is greater than 9.  Blank if not a trust signature.  (GnuPG
   1.3.x only).

> The second character after the "sig" is new since GPG 1.0.7 and indicates
> the quality of a signature. Where can I get more information about this new
> model?
> I haven't found anything about this except the release notes for 1.0.7 and
> the dialogs inside the program and those are rather short.

Make a signature, and when it asks you for the level, enter a '?'.

David