Why you should not use PGP

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 6 16:50:01 2002

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

If some government tries to outlaw encryption, well, then either don't use
gpg or don't live by such stupid laws. Even now European governments are
bending to pressure from the USA to limit personal freedoms more and more,
I doubt they will outlaw encryption. Wanting backdoors, key escrow, or the
obligation to give keys to them, yes. But even compliance to such laws will
not cause problems decrypting old files.

Further, the currently used algorithmsare patent free except idea, and for
idea a solution is already present. I doubt newly added algorithms will
suffer from patent problems, otherwise they might not become added. And for
idea, I'll take the risk that Ascom would suddenly become very aggressive
about that patent. They've done nothing against the idea plugin, or against
commercial use of pgp 2.x as far as I know.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html