Why you should not use PGP

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder@fortytwo.ch
Sat Dec 7 12:34:02 2002

--=-AVb7AqcJFqjS5/mMJR7r

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 11:47, Johan Wevers wrote:
> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
>=20
> If some government tries to outlaw encryption,[...]

Agree with your view here.

> Further, the currently used algorithmsare patent free except idea,[...]

We're speaking of >10 years here. I'm just thinking that this is a
*very* long time, and when we look at the speed that some silly laws are
pushed through in the US and some other countries today, it's even a
long time from the view of the law.=20

You just are no oracle - you can not know what will happen. Perhaps it's
not patents, but perhaps it's a problem with copyright law? Perhaps the
coder of a particular algorithm claims copyright? Perhaps a patent free
algorithm is not patent free because someone uncovered a patent from 10
years ago and thought it would suddenly apply?

To restate my position: If you're thinking long term, go fetch paper and
pencil. Don't rely on complicated technology. The above possible
problems are only the tip of the iceberg, the remaining problems after
you solved the technical ones of finding a CD drive to read your disc
etc.

cheers
-- vbi

--=20