Importing In-Line Signatures

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder@fortytwo.ch
Mon Dec 9 09:49:01 2002

--=-BQySfMJ3E2uWpi/aXXIC

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 06:24, Dave Barton wrote:
> I have scanned the how-to docs, man pages and faq's but (unless I have
> missed something obvious) I can't find any definite information about
> creating an .asc file to import an in-line signature.
>=20
> My MUA (Evolution) does not handle in-line signatures automatically and
> my understanding (limited) is that I must create an .asc file to import
> it into my keyring. What is not clear to me is which parts of the
> in-line signature I need to put into the .asc file. I have experimented
> with several alternatives:
>=20

Hi!

With the hope of not offending you, it seems to me you should do some
reading about how gpg works.

You import *keys* into the gpg keyring. You don't import signatures. You
just verify them.

Starting with 1.2, evolution has (thank god) removed their always broken
support for inline signatures, so you see those mails in full, including
signatures. What you do, when you see a=20

is: open a terminal, run gpg, and paste the whole mail into it (or save
the whole mail into a file and do "gpg < themail"):

-------
avbidder@altfrangg:~$ gpg < mail=20

signed text like this

gpg: Signature made Mon Dec  9 09:49:05 2002 CET using DSA key ID E5A7F7D6
gpg: Good signature from "Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch>"
gpg:                 aka "[jpeg image of size 1956]"
gpg: Policy: http://fortytwo.ch/legal/gpg/email.20020822
avbidder@altfrangg:~$=20
--------

Hope this helps