rpm upgrade

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Fri Dec 27 23:17:02 2002

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 03:29:21PM -0500, Richard B. Tilley (Brad) wrote:
> Hello gpg users,
>
> I'm using gpg 1.06 on RHL 7.3. It came with the distro and it works
> well. I use GPA as I like the GUI in place of the CLI sometimes. I went
> to a key-signing today and found that most of the gpg users there were
> using the latest stable version (1.2.1).
>
> To my question. Is there a compelling reason for me to upgrade to the
> latest stable version? I primarily use gpg to sign, not encrypt, email.
> And, I occasionally use it to encrypt a few sensitive files on my hard
> drive. I've noticed, too, that the Linux kernel developers use an even
> older version of gpg (1.0.3). Does version number really matter?

In short, yes.  There are a number of bug fixes and enhancements
between 1.0.6 and 1.2.1.  You will also have problems upgrading to a
newer GPA without upgrading your GnuPG as well.

1.0.3 should not be used at all: look up the release of 1.0.4 in
http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/download/release_notes.html

David