Getting a key from a keyserver..

Justin R. Miller incanus@codesorcery.net
Wed Feb 20 15:30:01 2002

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

Said S=F8ren Hansen on Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 10:46:14AM +0100:

> You thereby imply that we have exchanged e-mail before. Properly
> signed e-mail, even. What if this is not the case?

Occasionally a person will indicate in their signature or X-headers
where you can find their key.  You might check their website as well.
Barring any of these things, you would typically send them a message
requesting their key. =20

Now, as far as determining the validity and trust level the key, that is
another story.  The GNU Privacy Handbook at www.gnupg.org explains this,
and I have a brief introduction in my guide at codesorcery.net/mutt. =20

> BTW what's the reply-procedure on this mailinglist? Reply to the
> sender, CC to the mailinglist, vice versa or only reply to list?

Theoretically you obey the Mail-followup-to: header, which the sender
will set to indicate whether they too want to be copied on the message.
Not a lot of mailers use this header, though (Mutt being one of them).
Common practice is to reply to the list, and to the author if they
request a Cc: because they are not subscribed. =20

--=20
[!] Justin R. Miller <incanus@codesorcery.net>
    PGP 0xC9C40C31 -=3D- http://codesorcery.net

    http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/02/19/gen.strategic.influence/index.html