Getting a key from a keyserver..

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Feb 20 17:25:02 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:23:24AM +0100, S=F8ren Hansen wrote:
> A'ight, I need to get something straight..
>=20
> When I want to send an e-mail to someone for the first time, how do I
> get his public key? The obvious answer would be: Get it from a
> keyserver. Well then.. How? As far as I can see, to get a key from a
> keyserver, I need the recipients key ID. How do I get my hands on that
> one? When I go to keyserver.net, I can search for an e-mail address. Wh=
> can't I do that from the gnupg commandline?

You can in the upcoming gpg 1.0.7 with gpg --search-keys.  You can
search for a name, email address, or any text in the user ID.

Of course, that only gives you a key with that text on it.  You still
need to confirm it is the right key via the usual methods (signatures,
checking fingerprint, etc.).

David

--=20
   David Shaw  |  dshaw@jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.co=