let the flaming begin or Factoring Breakthrough?

Gordon Worley redbird@rbisland.cx
Wed Feb 27 04:08:02 2002

On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 02:41  PM, Douglas Calvert wrote:

> Well there is a story on slashdot:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/26/179206&mode=thread&tid=93
> An anonymous reader sent in: "In this post  to the Cryptography Mailing
> List, someone who knows more about math than I do claimed "effectively
> all PGP RSA keys shorter than 2k bits are insecure, and the 2kbit keys
> are not nearly as secure as we thought they were." Apparently Dan
> Bernstein of qmail fame figured out how to factor integers faster on the
> same cost hardware. Should we be revoking our keys and creating larger
> ones? Is this "the biggest news in crypto in the last decade," as the
> original poster claims, or only ginger-scale big?"

Hope I'm not being too dim, but does this have any effect on
Diffie-Hellman keys?  I thought that the two were based on similar math.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose