let the flaming begin or Factoring Breakthrough?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu Feb 28 09:25:01 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:29:27 +0100, Ingo Klöcker said:

> indeed be drastically reduced. The only problem is that this machine
> doesn't exist yet. Of course the NSA could easily built such a machine.

Don't over estimate the power of the NSA.  The paper talks about a
hypothetical machine; with current technology it is not possible to
build such a box.

> enough. New RSA keys should IMO nevertheless have at least 2048 bits.

Nonsense.  There a lot of far out weaker points you can qattack in a
real world scenario.  No non-academic attacker would try to mount a
factoring attack.

Let's give Bernstein the last word on this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=2002Jan1608.53.39.5497%40cr.yp.to