Passphrase as parameter in the command line

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Fri Jan 4 18:21:01 2002

NOTE:  My "default" program hands back data strings based on the host name
from which it is running.
       gpg_home returns the path to where the key rings are located.
       gpg_pass$1 returns the pass phrase identified by $1 (1st parameter on
command line)
       The 2nd and 3rd parameters on the command line are the input and
output file names (including paths)

script name: gpg_decrypt

#!/bin/ksh
homedir=$(default gpg_home)

rm -f $3 2>&1 1> /dev/null
default gpg_pass$1 \
  | gpg --homedir $homedir --passphrase-fd 0 --no-tty \
        --output $3 --decrypt $2
# end of script

Since we have two public keys (a 1024 bit one and a 2048 bit one -- we are
phasing out the 1024 bit key) we identify the pass phrases differently.  You
might prefer to have a single pass phrase and simply echo "my pass phrase"
and pipe that to gpg and use --passphrase-fd 0

Note that our options file has these additional entries that might be
appropriate for your environment:
compress-algo 1
force-v3-sigs
batch

Usage:  gpg_decrypt 2 input_file output_file

And, no, the passphrases are not in clear text.  However, a hacker could
quickly break my simple obfuscation.  But it keeps the company non-hackers
from casually gazing on them.  My personal pass phrase is not on the box.

--Steve Butler
Oracle DBA
First Choice Health Network

(And I apologize for the forced commentary the corporate email server will
apply once this message leaves my box).