signed messages & mutt

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Jan 24 20:38:01 2002

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 07:18:31PM +0100, Davide Cavallari wrote:
> Sometimes I  get messages  that can't automatically  be verified  by mutt.
> Really it  doesn't recognize them  as signed at all  (I can't see  the "s"
> flag). This is a typical message body:

[...]

> Is this a problem with my MUA configuration or is this behaviour normal?

Normal.  Some of the messages you received are PGP/MIME and some are
not.  Mutt can automatically detect a PGP/MIME message, but does not
detect the other sort.

If you are using a fairly recent version of mutt, you can use esc-P to
ask it to check the signature of the other sort of message.  With
older versions of mutt, you can just pipe the message to gpg to check
the signature (i.e. type "|gpg").

David