GPG Formmail

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Wed Jul 3 07:46:02 2002

------=_NextPart_000_06E2_01C2221A.5E686830

Here I assume that you will be encrypting the text output from the form =
and e-mailing the encrypted data to yourself.

First the good news: encryption by a script is easy.  For gpg encryption =
you will not be required to provide a password.  The password is only =
required at the decryption step.

Now for the bad news:

1) You have a basic problem.  Although you would be able to send the =
data from the shared host to your e-mail address in securely encrypted =
fashion, the data being entered into the form will only be transferred =
from the browser to the form in a secure fashion if your shared host =
provides secure sockets layer, a.k.a. HTTPS.  Thus the scheme is =
inappropriate for most security needs if HTTP is used.

2) If your web site is on the typical budget web host service there may =
be some resistance to running any executable programs on the server.

3) Your biggest problems may include securely deleting/wiping the =
unencrypted text after encryption.

4) You still have to mail the data.  This is quite platform dependent.  =
On Linux you may need to learn about sendmail.  On NT server there are a =
number of approaches -- try looking up automailnt on the search engines.
  ----- Original Message -----=20