Importing Keys causes multiple sets of Key Rings

Greg Strong Greg Strong <gw_goldwing@gwstrong.com>
Wed Jul 24 06:05:02 2002

Hello gnupg-users,

When I import keys GnuPG & GPGshell create multiple sets of key rings.
Is this a problem with GnuPG, GPGshell, or my options file?

I'm using GnuPG version 1.1.90. The duplicate key rings are stored in
different directories. The designated path to the key rings is
"a:\ring\xxxring.gpg with the second set of rings ending up in the
default path for GnuPG of D:\Program Files\GnuPG\xxxring.gpg after the
import. I have Win98 registry and Autoexec.bat file settings below,
however I don't believe these settings cause the problem.

You should also know I use multiple sets of options files due to using
keys for different purposes. I have my options set to store my key
rings on my floppy drive. Each of the option files is stored in the
GPGshell child directory below the GnuPG directory. An example of one
of my option files is indicated below.

I did use this setup with the prior version of GnuPG 1.0.6. I don't
recall this problem of multiple sets of king rings in key imports with
the prior version of GnuPG and GPGshell when using my floppy drive for
the key rings.

Any ideals?  TIA!

- --
Best regards,

Greg Strong
TB! v1.62/Beta1 on Windows 98

An example options file is listed below:
comment Greg Strong (Email KeyID 0x78834C32)
default-key 0x78834C32
default-recipient-self
encrypt-to 0x78834C32
escape-from-lines
no-greeting
keyserver ldap://pgp.surfnet.nl:11370
no-auto-key-retrieve
keyserver-options show-photos
photo-viewer d:\program files\gnupg\gpgshell\gpgview.exe %i /title 0x%k
compress-algo 1
force-v3-sigs
keyring a:\ring\pubring.gpg
secret-keyring a:\ring\secring.gpg

Registry Settings Win98 oe:
===========================
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\GnuPG]
"HomeDir"="d:\\Program Files\\GnuPG"
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\GNU]
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\GNU\GnuPG]
"HomeDir"="d:\\Program Files\\GnuPG"

Autoexec.bat file settings:
SET PATH=%PATH%;d:\progra~1\gnupg