1.07 RSA support questions (Larry Ellis)

Larry Ellis Larry_C_Ellis@hotmail.com
Mon Jun 3 18:14:01 2002

Well, primarily, I'm just trying to make sure that I have maximum
interoperability between versions, and that I understand any quirks in
getting things to work.

It's clear that changes within GPG are not geared towards improving the ease
of choosing RSA/IDEA.  That's fine; it's not a great choice for new users.

I know how to force the use of IDEA, if I foolishly choose to do so.  My
only outstanding question was why 3des is being chosen for encryption, by
default, *in combination with* RSA, even when IDEA is available.  I thought
GPG automatically chose IDEA in such cases (at least that's the way it
worked on 1.06).

Perhaps I have misconfigured something somewhere, but I know that I have not
specified a cipher override, either on the command line, or in the options
file...