1.07 RSA support questions (Larry Ellis)

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x@kr6x.com
Mon Jun 3 19:23:02 2002

I'd suspect that your answer is that IDEA is assumed to
be unavailable by the developers of GPG.  I'd guess
that none of the GnuPG team have any objections to the
security of the algorithm and all of them would favor full
interoperability with PGP.  But the legal issues override
these considerations.  Perhaps for legal reasons the
GnuPG developers must consider the plug-in algorithm
support to be a rogue element.

At the same time I was under the impression that 3DES
has been supported in most PGP implementations that use
RSA legacy keys.  Perhaps this is a non-issue, as 3DES
just might do a very good job for you.  It's certainly strong
enough to stop any corporate or organized crime attacks
for the next decade.  But, I'll admit that years ago when I
was a PGP 2 user I never paid much attention to the
algorithms that it used.  In those days the US federal
banking system was still using crypto devices that used
56 bit single DES and running modem connections through
the public telephone lines.  I was quite perplexed to learn
recently that the US system of ATM's still include many
using dial telephone modem connections...