trust keys

akorthaus@web.de akorthaus@web.de
Wed Jun 5 16:06:06 2002

Hallo!
OK, I tried tho following:

(14:24:59) [test] gpg --list-keys --with-colons
/link/to/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
---------------------------------------
pub:q:1024:17:95D93FF113D7356F:2002-06-03::59:m:andreas <akorthaus@web.de>:
sub:q:1024:16:3BAA3411DFF7F6E6:2002-06-03::59::

I changed the trust of the public key 'andreas', itīs the only key I have on
that server, because I only use it for one daily cronjob at the moment.

So why cannot use -r, only --default-recipient? I canīt understand! What do
you think? Is should I generate on own private key on that server, to sign
this puplic key andreas? What can I do to use just -r without the described
warnings/problems?

-- Andreas

Andreas --

...and then akorthaus@web.de said...
%
% Hallo!

Hi!  I hope you got some sleep last night ;-)

%
% gzip -c zip.php | gpg -o data.gpg -a -e -r andreas
%
% gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
% gpg: Datensicherung: skipped: public key not found
% gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: public key not found

You really shouldn't have to use --default-recipient, so let's do some
digging.

What do you get when you run

  gpg --list-keys --with-colons

(better yet, when the web server does it, to avoid the sort of confusion
we had before; have you been editing the trust on the right copy of the
key?)?  That can help us see the trust level (well, I *think* it can :-)

I've done the same sort of thing with a key for backups only, but that
was under an older version of gpg, so I don't have much detail.

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org