Cannot encrypt/decrypt zip-Files correctly (Andreas)

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Wed Jun 5 18:32:01 2002

gpg will compress every bit as good as gzip.  So, if you are going to
compress and encrypt in a single command line, then let gpg do the
compression.

However, as the list contributors stated earlier, if you have to save =
the
un-encrypted file in a compressed state, then do the compression outside =
of
gzip and then encrypted the already compressed file.  There is a flag =
you
can pass to tell gpg to not attempt to compress the file.  Otherwise you =
run
the small risk of the file actually increasing in size as it attempts
further compression.

In your case where you are dumping a database, I can understand =
compressing
the dump on the fly as it comes out of the database.  That is what I do =
in
order to keep the dump under 2 Gigs (and I use split just in case the
compressed file does go over 2 Gigs).  Should I have to send that in the
wild (ie, internet) then I'd want to encrypt it without uncompressing it
first.

But, if you are going to dump/compress/encrypt all at once, then dump
directly into gpg and let it do the compression and encryption.

--Steve Butler
Oracle Administrator
First Choice Health Network