Cannot encrypt/decrypt zip-Files correctly (Andreas)

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Wed Jun 5 18:32:05 2002

Interesting.  Didn't realize that GnuPG had that level of deductive
reasoning.  Sounds like a winner.

As for the other responder that is doing gzip and gpg in a pipeline, it will
be easier on the system to have one less process and one less pipe by
removing gzip and letting gpg do the compression.  Again, there may be
reasons to do it in two steps especially if you want the decrypted file to
still be compressed.

Options!  Options!  Always a dozen ways to do something right.  Now, which
one is the best is only something the implementer can decide.  Everybody
else will probably disagree <<grin>>.

However, after 27 years in this industry I've come to the following
conclusion.

The best way is:
1.  The method the implementer understands intuitively and is obvious to the
most casual observer.
2.  Does the job the way the implementer wants it done.
3.  Produces the desired results.
4.  Does so in an acceptable amount of time.
5.  Uses no more than an acceptable amount of resources.

The downside is that somebody will always come along to so a method that
uses less resources!

--Steve