Windows-PGP/Linux-GnuPG mails compatibility issues

David T-G davidtg-gnupg@justpickone.org
Mon Jun 10 05:52:02 2002

--oHxSCaSS3y4TqjY8

Nick --

=2E..and then Nick Andriash said...
%=20
% Hello David T-G,

Hello!

%=20
% In Reference to your Posting on Sunday, June 09 2002 at 11:05 AM PDT,
%=20
% > % - GnuPG Mime signatures appears like .dat files for windows users and
% > %   they seem to be very perturbed by it :)
% >=20
% > Yeah.  Silly LookOut! users.
%=20
% What is so silly about them David? Do you actually think it's the Users

They use what has to be one of the most insecure, least standard friendly,
just plain worst mail programs written.  I'll grant that it does a decent
job of being a PIM, though I don't really know how well, but it sucks for
email.  And the users use it.  And the companies use it and require their
users to use it.  And worms and virii are an entirely ridiculous fact of
life for lots of people as a result.

% that produce the attachments? It's you!! You send PGP/MIME messages to

Of course it isn't (they), and of course it is (I).  I never intended
to intimate that those users send the attachments; they're the ones who
can't deal with them.

% this List for example,  knowing very well that few Mailers actually
% support PGP/MIME. Why do you do that then? This is a GnuPG Users List and
% not a Unix List. Spare us the attachments please.

I send PGP/MIME messages everywhere because I sign everything -- and,
because, I prefer PGP/MIME format for signing and encrypting messages
and attachments.  More than just *NIX mailers can handle attachments,
so I don't think I'm being overly UNIX-centric.

%=20
% Oh yes... one more thing... the Program is called Outlook!

Yes, I know, but the other names are so much more fitting!

%=20
% --=20
% Nick Andriash
% Courtenay, B.C. Canada