Unexpected Filename Upon Decrypt

Brian M. Carlson karlsson@hal-pc.org
Wed Jun 19 08:10:02 2002

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 03:08:32PM -0400, Adam Pavelec wrote:
> I am looking for any help or input on probably the only issue I am having
> with GnuPG.
>=20
> When the process is finished, the file "nnnnnnnnnnnnnn.zip" is extracted
> (where n =3D a random number).  Decrypting the same file with Network
> Associates PGP results in the file "PCnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.zip", which is what =
the
> file is actually supposed to be named.

I don't know about this.

> Somehow, I believe the message "gpg: NOTE: cipher algorithm 3 not found in
> preferences" is related to this issue.  Any ideas?

Actually, I don't think this has anything to do with it. I assume the
sender is encrypting to DFFE654A, as if he or she were encrypting to your
key you would not be getting this message. Cipher algorithm 3 is CAST5.
The key in question has no preferences listed, which means that
implementations MUST assume that it can do only 3DES (cipher algorithm
2). The implementation that encrypted to you did not do this, therefore
violating the standard (RFC 2440, et al.).  It is RECOMMENDED by the
standard that when implementations violate this rule, that the receiving
implementation warn the user. So it did.

--=20
Brian M. Carlson <karlsson@hal-pc.org> <http://decoy.wox.org/~bmc> 0x560553=
E7
It is when I struggle to be brief that I become obscure.
		-- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI--