--compress-algo

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sun Mar 31 03:05:01 2002

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 09:02:29PM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> Using the command line "gpg --compress-algo 0 --export > pgpmsg.asc"
> with gpg 1.0.6d yields the same results as --compress-algo [1,2]. The md5sums
> for each pgpmsg.asc are the same.  Shouldn't this command create uncompressed
> output (so that I can later compress it more efficiently with bzip2)?

The default for --export is already uncompressed.  If you want to
compress keys, use --compress-keys along with the usual
--compress-algo.

Note that GnuPG can import compressed keys just fine, but if you
compress outside of GnuPG (with gzip or bzip2 or whatever), then
you'll need to uncompress it yourself before --importing it back into
GnuPG.

David