Restrictions / Commercial Use?

Greg Strong gw_goldwing@gwstrong.com
Sun Mar 31 22:04:02 2002

Are there any restrictions on using GnuPG for commercial use?

GnuPG says at http://www.gnupg.org/ that "GnuPG is a complete and free
replacement for PGP. Because it does not use the patented IDEA
algorithm, it can be used without any restrictions."

While the installation instructions for GPGshell at
http://www.jfrisch.de/GPG-Install/Seiten-englisch/index.html states
that If you want to use GPG in a non-commercial environment I recommend
to use the following GPG-version. Please keep in mind that this file
contains a version with implemented IDEA-algorithm which is free only
for non-commercial use!"

On http://www.jumaros.de/rsoft/gpgshell.html the author states that
"GPGshell is a graphical interface for GnuPG (GNU Privacy Guard). GnuPG
is a free RFC2440 (OpenPGP) compliant replacement for PGP. Because it
does not use the patented IDEA algorithm, it can be used without any
restrictions."

I've scanned the GNU General Public License (GPL) in plain text format
at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt.  I believe this license governs
the distribution of GnuPG.  I don't recall seeing any restrictions on
use meaning commercial versus non-commercial.

The only thing I can see different is the fact that GPGshell
installation instructions reference a different file,
gnupg-w32-1.0.6.zip, than GnuPG, gnupg-w32-1.0.6-2.zip.

I have not installed GnuPG or any frontend.  These statements seem to
conflict each other, or am I missing something here.  Please explain.
TIA!

Greg Strong
Email: gw_goldwing@gwstrong.com

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 13:33 CST