gpg --pgp2 and sign+encrypt

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu May 2 22:59:01 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 04:24:03PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:13:27PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > In older versions, GnuPG was unable to sign+encrypt in a single pass
> > and create messages compatible with PGP 2.x.  Has this changed with
> > 1.0.7 and the --pgp2 option?
>
> No.  The main difference is that GnuPG will now error if you try to do
> it with --pgp2 set, rather than generate a message that PGP 2.x won't
> handle.

I should expand on this a bit.

1.0.6 behavior:
    sign+encrypt with a v3 key: signature that only GnuPG can use

    sign+encrypt with a v4 key: signature that all versions of GnuPG
    and PGP except PGP 2.x can use

1.0.7 behavior:

    sign+encrypt with a v3 or v4 key: signature that all versions of
    GnuPG and PGP except PGP 2.x can use

GnuPG can make clear signatures and detached signatures for PGP 2.x.
The only thing that it does not do is encrypt+sign for PGP 2.x.

David