Adding photos

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Mon May 13 02:30:02 2002

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 02:45:01PM -0400, Gordon Worley wrote:
> With the new photo options in 1.0.7, people on the Mac GPG list have
> been having fun with checking out my photo and the photos on other
> keys.  This inspired me to try to update my photo.  Things have not gone
> well.
>
> My current photo is a meager 2471 bytes.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to
> add such a small photo any longer since GPG is requiring a JPEG.  When I
> added my photo it was in PICT format (a relative of TIFF IIRC) and I'm
> guessing PGP did some compression to get the 2 kB photo.  With GPG,
> still trying to add a 120x144 photo, I can't get one any smaller than
> about 13 kB because it has to be JPEG.  Is there any particular reason
> that this file has to be JPEG or is that really just a suggestion?  GPG
> seems to handle my current photo just fine and is able to display it.

All photos on keys are JPEG, as the standard requires that.  What PGP
does when you paste a photo into the little box is do a quick
conversion from whatever you pasted into a JPEG :)

The difference is that GnuPG wants a JPEG from the start.  You might
try dialing up the compression level a bit higher to see if you can
get the image smaller.  There are a number of tools out there (usually
intended for web use) that are excellent at taking an image and
spitting out a very optimized JPEG.

David