GPG WIndowss

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Fri May 17 16:11:01 2002

The verification that you've performed simply tells
you that the signature confirms that the contents of
the .iso file have not changed since the signature
was created.

Your confidence in the .iso file then depends on
whether you are convinced that the signature file
has not been created by a malicious person.

The process of performing this check has given
you one answer:  Was the file corrupted during
download?  No!  The contents of the file are
perfect as far as the creator of the signature file
is concerned.

This perhaps doesn't tell you that the .iso file
couldn't have been manipulated before the
signature was created.  All of the messages
from gpg regarding the trust placed in the key
point to the possibility that the file could have
been signed by the wrong person.  GnuPG is
not telling that the file was signed by the
wrong person, only that the software couldn't
tell.  In the case of downloads from a web
site, this is just about as good a result as you
can get.  Use the .iso file, it is uncorrupted.