Symmetric cipher selection order, RSA keys

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Wed May 22 22:30:02 2002

Would it be an ordered list so that the left most item left in the
intersection would take precedence?  That way if my personal list was:
CAST5, AES256, AES, 3DES  then CAST5 would be picked (based on the two below
keys).  However, if I listed AES256, AES, CAST5, 3DES then AES would be
picked.

--Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: David Shaw [mailto:dshaw@jabberwocky.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 7:18 AM
To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
Subject: Re: Symmetric cipher selection order, RSA keys

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 01:54:57PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 04:30:51PM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> > On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 07:29:08AM -0700, David Hollenberg wrote:
> > >
> > > 1. Suppose I encrypt a message to two public keys, whose symmetric
cipher
> > >    preferences are:
> > >
> > > 	Key 1:  AES, CAST5, 3DES
> > > 	Key 2:  CAST5, AES, 3DES
> > >
> > >    Which cipher will GNUPG pick?  Can I influence GNUPG's choice

> Anyway, GnuPG will pick either AES or CAST5 in this case, depending on
> the order in which the keys are given during encryption.  You can

After thinking about this some more, I think that a list of algorithms
that the user favors is a good idea.  I've added
"--personal-preference-list" to the CVS.  GnuPG will take this list
into account when picking algorithms.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.