Keypair created with gpg 1.0.7

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Tue May 28 20:42:02 2002

This question sounds like it could be about the
--simple-sk-checksum option.

For improved security, gpg has a new database
storage format for the secret key.  Exported keys use
the new format, which is incompatible with older gpg
versions as well as with PGP.  To make your exported
keys PGP compatible, you need to store the keys in
the database with the --simple-sk-checksum option
enabled.  You could put the simple-sk-checksum into
your options file if you are working on a computer
that you have complete control over including physical
security.

The secure way to work with this is to:
1) gpg --simple-sk-checksum --edit-key [keyID]
Command> passwd
Re-enter your password without changing it.
Command> save
2) Export the key.
3) Edit and re-enter your password again, this
time without the --simple-sk-checksum option.
This puts you back into high security mode.

Treat the exported secret keys carefully and don't
allow them to be compromised.  Some people
prefer to change the password to a blank.  Then they
don't need to use the --simple-sk-checksum option.
I think this is a real security problem.