gnupg and corrupted files

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel@mamane.lu
Fri Nov 15 09:06:02 2002

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:05:39PM -0800, Bob Mathews wrote:
> On Thursday 14 November 2002 10:55, Bram Vandoren wrote:

>> I want to encrypt files on a cdr.=20
>> What will happen when there are errors on the cd?

> If the file was encrypted with no compression (--compress-algo 0 on the=
=20
> command line),

Please note that disabling compression is a mild security risk in some
situations. Besides my 1.0.6 refuses to let me disable compression.

> the uncorrupted parts will decrypt correctly, minus one (8 or 16
> byte) cipher block.

> I just tried this, and it works.

You are _sure_? I would expect _two_ blocks to be affected. The block
in which the error is, and the next one, due to the feedback.

And if the error is before the actual ciphertext (in the headers, in
the ElGamal-encrypted session key, ...), depending on where exactly
the error is, the whole file is lost.

--=20
Lionel
--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc