Is ZIP compress-algo 1 or 2 ?

Jason_Mantor@hesc.com Jason_Mantor@hesc.com
Thu Nov 14 22:46:01 2002

      I've been told that  I want to use ZIP compression to be
interoperable with PGP 7.x,  but I'm not sure if my options file should
contain compress-algo 1 or compress-algo 2.

The gpg.man file that came with GnuPG 1.2.1-1 for Windows  says this :

       --compress-algo n
                 Use compression algorithm n. Default is 2  which
                 is RFC1950 compression. You may use 1 to use the
                 old zlib version (RFC1951) which is used by PGP.
                 0  disables  compression.  The default algorithm
                 may give better results because the window  size
                 is  not  limited  to 8K. If this is not used the
                 OpenPGP behavior is used, i.e.  the  compression
                 algorithm  is  selected  from  the  preferences;
                 note, that this can't be  done  if  you  do  not
                 encrypt the data.

   I think the RFC references are transposed and it conflicts
with the output from the exe itself...

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc1950.html is ZLIB

C:\>gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.1
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: c:/gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
Cipher: 3DES (S2), CAST5 (S3), BLOWFISH (S4), AES (S7), AES192 (S8),
        AES256 (S9), TWOFISH (S10)
Compress: Uncompressed (Z0), ZIP (Z1), ZLIB (Z2)

So which is correct ?    And is Zip=1 ?

            Thanks : )
            -JSM

Jason S. Mantor, MCP
Senior Computer Programmer/Analyst
New York State Higher Education Services Corporation
Email: Jason_Mantor@hesc.com
Telephone: (518) 402-3545