Is ZIP compress-algo 1 or 2 ?

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Nov 14 23:09:02 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 04:46:45PM -0500, Jason_Mantor@hesc.com wrote:
>       I've been told that  I want to use ZIP compression to be
> interoperable with PGP 7.x,  but I'm not sure if my options file should
> contain compress-algo 1 or compress-algo 2.

[..]

> So which is correct ?    And is Zip=1 ?

The --version output is correct.  I'll fix the manual.  ZIP is
algorithm 1 and ZLIB is 2.

However, you shouldn't need to put compress-algo in your options file.
The default is correct and will automatically do the right thing for
PGP users (uses ZIP) and GnuPG users (uses ZLIB).  There are a few
extreme cases where you must use compress-algo, but it should not be a
common thing.

This wasn't always true, which is why you often see the advice to use
compress-algo, but it hasn't been true since GnuPG 1.0.7.

David