Will GPG use Dual Processors under Windows ?

Florian Weimer Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Mon Nov 18 23:33:02 2002

Jason_Mantor@hesc.com writes:

>  It seems to be bound by processor speed.

Try to turn off compression.

> Does the official exe for Windows take advantage of multiple
> processors ?

No, it doesn't.  Distributing symmetric encryption/decryption across
multiple general-purpose CPUs seems complicated to me.

However, if you aren't strictly CPU bound, a second processor could
increase throughput, but not substantially, I'm afraid.

However, there's a trivial approach to get something better: split the
file (or the stream) on the sending site and encrypt it in parallel,
using two processes.  (This assumes that you can change the data
format.)

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/