keyserver URIs

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Fri Nov 22 15:06:02 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 03:33:55PM +0100, alex@syjon.fantastyka.net wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:41:48PM -0500, David Shaw wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 06:05:47PM +0100, Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:
> > > Is there a good (legal, working) way to specify key ID in keyserver URI,
> > > along the lines of ldap://keyserver.pgp.com/46399138 ? Or similar?
> >
> > It depends - what are you trying to do?
>
> I try to specify the key in the most generic way possible. Okay,
> I'll confess: I'm working on a simple XML markup for signature
> policies, and I think the most important element of this is to
> specify a key in a way that user will be able to obtain it - by hand
> or autmoatically.

Ah.  There is a standard form for LDAP URLs (rfc2255), but given the
way the LDAP keyserver is designed it may be hard to construct a URL
for it.  The LDAP keyserver always needs two queries per key - first,
to ask the server what the dn is, and then again to get the key.

The dn is always "OU=ACTIVE,O=PGP KEYSPACE,C=US", but might not be in
the future.

For the HKP keyservers, there is no standard URL format (since there
is no standard "hkp" URI scheme).  You could always write it as a HTTP
url though:

  http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xDEADBEEF

David