with-colons listing, issue with distinguishing between encrypting and signing keys.

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Nov 28 04:49:02 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:16:20PM -0500, Psy-Kosh wrote:
> > > Clarification: One of the subkeys was created as sign only, the other as
> > > encrypt only. Now they are listed as both being both signing and
> encrypting.
> >
> > What are the subkey types (RSA, Elgamal, ?)  Also, can you post the
> > output of:
> >
> >   gpg --export (yourkey) | gpg --list-packets
> >

> All RSA. Also, I currently suspect that the issue may be in relation to
> updating the exparation date or the prefrences. This is because I found that
> I had exported the key into a file in the past, so I exported the secret
> keys too, deleted the keys, then reimported them, and the key types were
> correct. Then I updated the expiration date and the prefrences, and also
> (foolishly) re-exported the whole thing again and overwrote the old files.

Aha, I found it.  This is a bug.  When you change the expiration date,
the key flags are lost which makes a sign-only or encrypt-only RSA key
into a sign+encrypt.  This will be fixed for the next version of
GnuPG.

David