Problem moving ~/.gnupg to another computer on network

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Sat Nov 30 19:37:02 2002

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 10:37:44 -0500, Anita Lewis said:

> gpg: /home/ajlewis2/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: invalid file version 3
> gpg: fatal: /home/ajlewis2/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: invalid trustdb

You downgraded to 1.0.6 which uses a different file format for the
trustdb.  There is an automatic migration for upgrading in >= 1.0.7
but obviously not for downgrading.

Workaround:

 gpg --export-ownertrust >otrust

The on the old platform, delete the trustdb.gpg, start gpg once and
then do a

 gpg --import-ownertrust <otrust

> What might be the problem?  Also, is there some way I can omit using the -r
> switch when running gpg.  I see 'encrypt-to' followed by my ID in the
> options file and wonder why it is not just using that. I'm talking about

encrypt-to is only be used if you have specicied another recipient.
This is usually used to encrypt a message to yourself, so you can
later read it.

You may put "recipient 0x12345678" into your gpg.conf if you intend to
always encrypt to one recipient.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner