E-Mail Encryption: Why Isn't Everyone Doing It?

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder@fortytwo.ch
Fri Oct 25 11:48:01 2002

--=-/2xINomEmd6FyGmfKZ8+

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 00:06, Anthony E. Greene wrote:

[SSL works most of the time, because configured defaults are ok]

> The fact is that WoT does not work well in a mass market deployment
> scenario.  Most people do not need the features that the WoT provides.
> Some people do need those features, but most people don't, at least not
> most of the time.

[damn, what is WoT? For me it'll always be Wheel of Time ;-]

OpenPGP works with a hierarchical trust structure equally well as with a
peer2peer Web of Trust. Perhaps a good way to improve userfriendliness
of pgp frontends would be to include and trust the keys of a few pgpcas
by default.

The installer should
 - force/encourage people to generate or import a key for them
 - add a few trusted pgpcas (and offer to sign their keys, so
explicitely marking them as trusted would not be necessary
 - chose a good keyserver
 - offer links to pgpcas' instructions on how to get certified.
	(for the I-only-want-to-know-that-the-emnail-address-is-genuine 	case,
a web based automatical certificate is sufficient, so 	people could
actually use openpgp encryption within a few minutes.)

No, I won't write the code, sorry.

cheers
-- vbi

--=20